• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Phill

Phill

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 10:01 AM

I'm hoping Dan may be able assist here with his knowledge of Arabic or anyone else for that matter.

I recently saw on another forum a member mention that the word "Sharia" is a watered down version of a fuller word. Below is an Arabic rendering of Surah 2:158:

158. Inna alssafa waalmarwata min shaAAa-iri Allahi faman hajja albayta awi iAAtamara fala junaha AAalayhi an yattawwafa bihima waman tatawwaAAa khayran fa-inna Allaha shakirun AAaleemun.

Below I have copy pasted the comment which the forum member posted explaining the word shaAAa-iri.

2.158: Lo! As-Safa and Al-Marwah are among the commandments (Sha'ā'iri*) of Allah. It is
therefore no sin for him who is on pilgrimage to the House or visiteth it, to go around them.

*Sha'a'iri is much stronger than usually translated and the source of all that is lawful (ie. Sharia).
Related to Dushara, Arabic Dhu-Sha'ara, the Nabatean god of the mountain range 'Seir' in Edom.

So in essence the member is trying to say that the word "Sharia" is derived from Dushara and the laws/commandments of Dushara are "Sha'ā'iri" watered down to "Sharia"

#2 Dan Gibson

Dan Gibson

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 76 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 05:33 PM

The Arabic word you mention comes from the root word Sh--AA-U-R Sheen, ain, wow, ra which has the idea of knowledge or awareness. The three letter root here is Sh, Ain, Ra. The format used in 2:158 has the meaning of religious ceremony, rite, etc., and was used of places of worship or cultic shrines.

On the other hand, the word for Sharia law is based on the three letter root Sh, ra, ain. This is a totally different three letter root, although it used the same letters, they are in a different order. The root meaning is to enter or start. This root is used to give the meaning of "revealed law"... the beginning of laws. So Sharia law has nothing to do with 2:158. Who ever came up with this comment doesn't know his Arabic very well. It is like saying "was" is the same word as "saw" Same letters, different order.

I hope this helps clear this up.